And I’ll create the top ideas below, from individual presenters, where each top tip appeals to me/my own experience, using the #ghc14 on twitter to source the quotes:
- Sean Ellis Testing is the only way to know if the idea is great. Test all growth levers – e.g. Dave McClure’s Pirate Metrics: Acquisition, Activation, Retention, Revenue, Referral
- Lesley Eccles Investment adds pressure – you HAVE to make it work.
- Zack Onisko Product Hunt has grown quickly because they only let influencers submit products in the early days.
- Alex Depledge Apparently when you raise millions of dollars in investment you have to give yourself a C-level title.
- Nilan Peiris Every app on your iPhone has an insanely high NPS
- Karl Banks Find out what is deeply stopping visitors and accept that fixing it is the only way to grow.
- Rand Fishkin In 2007 there were 1 billion Google searches a day. There are now over 6 billion a day & free keyword tool http://keywordtool.io/ (plus check out semrush and buzzsumo) and slide deck below…
- Marie Steinthaler Use all the tools and build a growth stack (image below)
- Simon Dance We’ve seen a direct correlation between pages that get crawled regularly & their number of visits
- Jamie Quint Spend 25% of your engineering time on getting your metrics and dashboards right & focus on longer term usage rather than the number of new users: sustainable growth
- Sofia Quintero Sustainable business is building a community around your product and transactions.
- Saul Klein
#Technologists need to put structure & discipline around marketing’ & It’s important to balance your growth with your ability to grow & If you’re seeing hockey stick engagement but not downloads or signups, that’s a time to invest in growth & in early stage startups, growth hacking should be around the product and customer acquisition not awareness
- Peep Laja If you torture data long enough, you can get it to say anything & you don’t need data, you need insights & Leave AB tests running for longer, not statistically significant until you have 350 conversions; slide deck below
- Ian Hogarth here’s no framework for growth-hacking, what works for a company may not work for another
- Morgan Brown Growth is a team sport
- Neil Patel Just tell ‘em you want to give them free tea AND money (talking about about Instagram influencers promoting brands) & Find sites who have similar audience to you & cut a CPA advertising deal to capture email addresses & grow your userbase