A few dry thoughts as to why setting up a social networking site for nerds/scientists/geeks/ etc can be a tad more difficult than high school students. Borrowed and adapted from:
Nerds have different objectives when it comes to social interaction.
“Normal” people expect to accomplish several unrealistic things from social
* Stimulating and thought provoking conversation;
* Important social contacts;
* A feeling of connectedness with other humans.
In contrast to “normal” people, nerds have rational objectives for
* Get it over with as soon as possible;
* Avoid getting invited to something unpleasant;
* Demonstrate mental superiority and mastery of all subjects.